Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Steepwater Band's "Clava" album review

So in an effort to keep this site more current, I'm including album reviews from area artists and/or groups coming to the area.

I thought I'd start with The Steepwater Band, who you can see at Machinery Row on Feb. 23.

The Steepwater Band
Today I'll take a dive into the group's latest album "Clava," which came out in 2011.

The album opens with the gritty, hard-as-nails track "Remember the Taker," which starts with your basic verse-chorus-verse setup, but toward the end dives into a cool instrumental jam. I suspect that's even more pronounced in their live shows.

From the songs I've heard, the band has that "rock stars with an attitude" feel to them. The heavy guitars, distinct vocals and loud sound will likely offer people a good chance to scratch that itch for hard rock.

They strike me as that group you hear on the radio late at night after one too many drinks at a bar. You notice them playing and the melody sticks with you in the morning.

On "Bury My Burden Deep," lead singer Jeff Massey almost sounds like he's singing his version of a Foo Fighters song. I think it's the way he pronounces "Forever" that reminds me of Dave Grohl.
He sings,
"Bury my burden deep in the ground, away from the light and away sound forever," he sings, "Deep in the rust of the godless steel. Side of the road by the spinning wheels forever."

Their sound is distinct as much as it is heavy. The best songs I feel are the ones with easily identifiable blues influences.

Another great track is the bluesy "High and Humble," that features a sexy guitar riff and a dance-floor ready beat. "Come on Down," also, is a similar type song. You get the feeling these guys know how to get the floor hopping when they want.

I must admit, this album started to grow on me the longer I listened to it.
Upon my first listen, I kind of thought it was a bit sloppy and bar-bandish, but the longer I listen to it, the more I notice it's actually a pretty tight sound. These guys know how to play their instruments and rock out hard. You have to appreciate that.

The band not only has played a lot of shows, more than 125 per year for the past 10 years according to its website, their music has been featured in some interesting places, such as the movie "One for the Money" with Kathryn Heigl, and several episodes of the NBC show "My Name is Earl."

The biggest thing, I think, is how I want to listen to several of the songs more than once. Some albums I hear all of the songs once and I could go my whole life without hearing them again.

Not every song demands multiple listens, though.
Songs like "Out on Love," Off the Rails," and "Won't be Long Now," which is probably the strongest of the most-forgettable three, but isn't nearly as good as the other songs on the album.

I think the problem with these songs is that they stray a bit from the up-tempo rock and boogie formula. It's cool that they're trying different types of songs, I just don't think they work as well.

All and all I think these guys will put on a good show for the Root Boys next month. If you like up-tempo, heavy rock, this show should be for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and encouraged. If you have an opinion on a review or more information about an event or release I've written about, feel free to share it in the comments section.
Please keep your comments civil. If a comment unfairly attacks someone, I will attempt to contact you and I reserve the right to remove it depending on what it is. feel free to email me at jake.sorich@gmail.com for further questions about comments.