Sunday, March 3, 2013

Junior Cascade of Talent showcase, March 3

By Sarah Raines
Raines is a classically-trained vocalist with a degree from NYU. She currently teaches private voice and piano, and she is also the choir director at the University of Great Falls.

Sarah Raines
The first thing I noticed about the 2013 Junior Cascade of Talent show was the MC. What I liked were the tidbits about the performers that he shared with the audience. For example, a little boy and girl who did a dance together are best friends. The MC also told us that a girl who danced to an acoustic version of “I Need A Hero,” dedicated it to her grandfather.

Unfortunately, the MC’s energy wasn't as engaging as the performers. Perhaps that’s because a group of kids under the age of 14 has more energy than any full-grown adults.

The MC seemed lost, forgot portions of his introductions, and mispronounced several names. I was also distracted between sets because the stage hand was dressed almost too scruffily. In my experience, stage hands wear solid black in order to be less distracting as they move set pieces

The young performers, however, were excellent.
There was a variety of acts: from piano to saxophone, ballet to hip-hop. They performed songs by artists from Etta James to Adele.

The dances, mostly from students of Miss Linda’s school of dance, were amazing. I would expect no less from Miss Linda’s, especially since I had the chance to work with Miss Linda’s dance teacher Jackie Newman when she choreographed UGF’s Chicago last fall. Another thing I especially liked about the dances were how age-appropriate they all were.

That leads me to the singing.

I would never discourage a young person from singing and performing, but I am partial to age-appropriate songs. Young singers who perform adult songs sometimes fall into the trap of imitating instead of showing their own unique voices. Yet it was obvious that every singer chose a song that she (all the singers I saw were female) really loved. That is key. Watching those singers truly enjoy themselves on stage is what makes the audience enjoy it.

The instrumentalists were awesome as well. Each of them played high level pieces with better technique than many adults.

The saxophone rendition of “Duel of the Fates,” from Star Wars was well-done and a cool song choice. I appreciated its uniqueness. In general I felt the acts that stood out most were the ones that brought something unexpected. For example, it was unique to see a dance duet between a little boy and girl that had a park bench as a prop/set piece.

From a stage tech stance, the lighting was really great. The lighting design really added to the performances and was a subtle, but important touch that added a feel of professionalism to the show. The young performers will get a real treat seeing how cool and professional everything looks when they see themselves on the DVD.

If I were to give any advice for next time, I’d ask the organizers to consider presenting a piano accompanist and offering every singer, dancer, and instrumental soloist the chance to perform with a live musician.

Maybe this opinion is just my old-school classical training showing, but I would hate to see live music become a lost art. Live music has a very organic and rich sound to the audience member.

As a performer it is a different and more refined skill to collaborate with live accompaniment as opposed to memorizing an exact timing of a recording.

In that same line of thought, I would also encourage future participants to experiment with collaboration. Sing duets and trios. Get instruments together. Choreograph a dance to your friend’s piano solo. Ask someone to accompany you on guitar. Dance teams offer a great avenue for collaborating and working in groups, but I think it can add more variety and a stronger learning experience if you work with other performers.

All in all, I found the entire show quite enjoyable and entertaining. I went to watch and support one of my private voice students, and I fully expected to be bored during everything but her song. However, I learned not to underestimate the young talent in this town. It was fun, and we should all look forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and encouraged. If you have an opinion on a review or more information about an event or release I've written about, feel free to share it in the comments section.
Please keep your comments civil. If a comment unfairly attacks someone, I will attempt to contact you and I reserve the right to remove it depending on what it is. feel free to email me at jake.sorich@gmail.com for further questions about comments.